Friday, September 13, 2019

MDX Insert Intermission

I have not created any posts about MDX Insert lately as I have hit a snag with my research on the CUSTOMCALCANDALLOCTHRUINSERT Essbase config file setting. This setting, in theory, will take an existing ASO procedural calc and automatically run it as an MDX Insert. This would be great for the customers who have a large number of ASO procedural calcs. I get the impression that once Essbase 19c comes out that this will work. So I'll wait until I have better information before doing a full write-up on the topic.

In the meantime I can report some really great news about MDX Insert and my hope for it becoming the next "big thing" for Essbase.

I was working with a colleague on an ASO procedural calc. He was using 11.1.2.3.500 and ran into the "query exceeds 2^64" error which kills the calc. This was due to the large number of combinations in the POV.

The same calc in 11.1.2.4.031 doesn't give an error but it also never finishes. I think a lot of people were turned off to ASO procedural calcs due to this issue.

The great news is that the same calc that died previously, when translated to MDX Insert, took a grand total of two seconds to complete in OAC. Two frikkin' seconds!

I'm seeking other outlines to try this on. If you've got one I can use for testing, drop me a line.

Also, I'll be at Oracle Open World 19 in San Francisco next week. I hope to see some of you there.

No comments: